Skip to content

... for small business and startup owners

What is a certificate of authority? How do I apply for it?

If you want to lawfully do business outside of the state where your company is registered, you may require a Certificate of Authority. The requirements and procedure for obtaining the certificate differ depending on the jurisdiction and different states have different criteria for determining whether a firm requires the certificate. Companies that “transact intrastate commerce” in California, for example, require the Certificate. This includes having a physical presence in the state, such as a warehouse or sales agent.

What is a certificate of authority How do I apply for it

Certificate of Authority

A Certificate of Authority is a document that conveys all of a business’s key information, including its official name, owners’ names, and legal status, to states other than the one it is registered (limited liability company, corporation, limited partnership, etc.). Foreign Qualification is another name for a Certificate; in this case, “foreign” refers to any firm organized outside of the state, not necessarily multinational companies. The document is required for any business entity, including partnerships, corporations, and LLCs (limited liability companies).

What is a certificate of authority?

The certificate verifies that you are permitted to conduct business in a state other than the one in which you were formed. In most states, this certificate is required. It’s worth noting that the document’s name varies from state to state. It could be called an Application for Authority, Application for Registration, Application to Transact Business, a Qualification Certificate, or something else entirely. To make matters even more complicated, the requirements and process for obtaining the certificate may differ by jurisdiction. When it comes to a company entity being permitted to do business in a state other than where it filed its original formation documents, a Certificate is referred to as foreign qualification. If an LLC’s owners file Articles of Organization (or a corporation files Articles of Incorporation) in California, the LLC would need to foreign qualify to do business in Nevada. LLCs and companies that want to expand their operations to numerous states must apply for the Certificate in each state. Businesses that are foreign qualified must follow the rules, regulations, tax laws, and compliance requirements of the states they operate. Multiple criteria are used to assess what it means to “do business” in a given state. It’s critical to learn the rules of the state in question.

Why do you need a certificate of authority?

When you desire to ensure the most favorable tax environment for your firm or extend its physical presence as a business owner, in any case, doing business in another state is a viable alternative. In this instance, you’ll need to apply for a certificate in the form where you’ll be doing business. Each state has its own set of company rules and regulations. Any company that does business in a state other than its founding is considered a foreign entity and must get this certificate.

How do I apply for a certificate of authority?

The procedure for obtaining the Certificate is quite simple, but you must pay close attention to the requirements of each jurisdiction. Many states use the following factors to assess whether or not a company is doing business in their jurisdiction:

  • The business has a physical presence in the state (e.g., office space, store, or warehouse).
  • Employees of the company live or work in the state.
  • The corporation is responsible for paying sales tax on the goods and services it sells in the state.
  • The firm meets with clients in person around the state.
  • Any company that meets one or more of the above requirements may be regarded to be doing business in the state.

In addition to filing the state’s Certificate of Authority form and fee, you may need to get additional evidence to demonstrate that your company is in good standing in its home state, i.e., that your corporation is currently on taxes and any other documents you must file. Some states require this statement to be obtained within a particular amount of time after the Certificate’s application is submitted, such as 30 or 60 days.

It’s also a good idea to double-check that your company’s name is available in the state where you want to get a Certificate. If the name you want is already used, you’ll probably need to use a “doing business as” (DBA).

A registered agent in the state may also be required so that you have someone to receive the legal process on your behalf.

A form is typically filed with the state’s business regulatory agency, usually the Secretary of State. The best place to find this information is on the agency’s website.

The conditions and method for getting a Certificate  may differ based on the state of a qualified foreign company. From one state to the next, the procedure is usually the same. Even so, it’s vital to know the rules of a specific condition.

Need any assistance in filing a certificate of authority?

Do you need a certificate that is required for your company? We advise business owners to familiarize themselves with the state’s laws in which they wish to operate. Furthermore, they might greatly benefit from speaking with their lawyer and tax advisor to determine what standards are required for their particular scenario. You’ll want to make sure you complete and submit your paperwork accurately when the time arrives. It is possible to lose time and money by filling out incorrect forms or presenting them with errors. Fortunately, by entrusting the procedure to IncParadise, you can rest assured that they will be completed correctly. No matter which state your company calls home or where it wishes to develop, our filing professionals are here to assist you.

Get more helpful tips

Like what you're reading? Get fresh tips to start & grow your company.