Naming Your Nevada LLC – All You Need to Know
About to start a business and searching for details on how to give it a Nevada LLC name? Well, to begin with, choosing a name for your business can be highly complex. And it is evident that you will want to give your company a name that has the power to grow and be flexible as your company expands in the future. In fact, it should be a name that appeals to your audience and can be remembered easily in case a user wants to find the company.
Basically, there are a lot of things that you need to take care of when selecting a Nevada LLC name. Keep reading to learn all about the Nevada LLC name requirements and how to choose the best name for your company. Let us begin with understanding all about a Nevada LLC.
What is Nevada LLC?
An LLC (Limited Liability Company) is a corporate structure in the USA where the owners are not personally liable for the liabilities or debts of the company. It is a hybrid entity that combines the characteristics of the sole proprietorship or partnership with those of a corporation. And even though the limited liability features the same as that of the corporation, the availability of the flow-through taxation benefit to the members of the LLC is a feature of the partnerships.
With this clear now, let us understand how to go about the Nevada LLC name search.
Nevada LLC Name Search
Before you can think of registering your company, you need to give it a name. So, the very first step to start an LLC is by selecting a Nevada LLC name and comparing it with the other existing businesses in the state to ensure that it is not the same as any other one. As per the records with the Nevada Secretary of State, the name should be distinguishable upon the records.
In addition to this, your Nevada LLC name has to follow the many and certain Nevada LLC name requirements and restrictions to comply with the state laws (which are also called the Nevada Revised Statutes). So, if you want to begin with the process and you have a name in mind, it is time for you to search if the name is available or not from the search page on the Nevada Secretary of State website.
How to Search an LLC Name in Nevada?
Here is the process to search for a Nevada LLC name using the search page on the Nevada Secretary of State website (link shared above):
- Visit the link shared above and enter the Nevada LLC name in the “Name” field. Once done, leave the rest of the fields blank and click on the “Search” button at the bottom.
- Kindly note that you need to search only a part of the LLC name to make sure that you see every other company name that is similar. To explain with an example, let us say that your company name is “Awesome Fields Tractor LLC”. In this case, the best way to search about this is by searching for “Awesome Fields”, “Awesome Tractor”, or “Fields Tractor”.
The reason why we are suggesting this is so that you can see how many companies have similar names. And to stay ahead of everyone, you can then choose another name that is unique and makes your business stand out.
- When performing the Nevada LLC name search, leave out the designator like “LLC”, “L.L.C.” etc.
- If there are any punctuation like hyphens, quotes, apostrophes, periods, and commas, leave them out.
- The Nevada name database does not consider capitalization when you search for the Nevada LLC names. So, you can use any case in the letters.
Now, the Nevada LLC name search results come in a very unique way. To help you understand it and comprehend it, here are some tips:
- In case the results display the names that not very similar to yours, then your desired Nevada LLC name is available and you can use it for your company.
- In case you get the message saying, “no records found with your search criteria”, then it means that the name you have selected is unique and available to use.
- In case your desired LLC name comes up in the list just as you want it, your desired Nevada LLC name is not available for use. You will have to come up with a new and unique name that would make your company’s name distinguishable.
- In case the results show a name that is deceptively similar to yours, then your company’s name is not available and can be rejected if used for the registration process. Hence, it is better to come up with a new name for your company that is distinguishable.
Nevada LLC Name Requirements & Restrictions
As mentioned above, before you can move ahead and perform the Nevada LLC name search, you need to know about the many restrictions and requirements as per the NRS 86.171. The Nevada LLC name requirements are very specific and have to be followed strictly. Here are the things that you need to take care of when selecting a name:
1. Comma in the Company’s Name
You can select a Nevada LLC name with or without a comma. Both of the names would be accepted by the state. For instance, for your company name – “Awesome Fields Tractor LLC”, you can file the name as:
- Awesome Fields Tractor LLC; or
- Awesome Fields Tractor, LLC
2. Add a Proper Designator
Instead of using an LLC as your designator (ending) of your company name, there are many other options that you can use in Nevada. Just know that you need to use a proper designator for your company’s name without which, it would not be approved by the government. Here are the designators that you can use for your Nevada LLC name:
- Limited Liability Company
- Limited Liability Co.
- Limited Company
- Limited Co.
For instance, if your company’s name is Awesome Fields Tractor, you can add any designator at the ending such as “Awesome Fields Tractor Ltd.”, “Awesome Fields Tractor LLC”, etc. In case you are not sure which one to use, you can use “LLC” as the designator as it is the most common one and the easiest to recognize.
3. Nevada LLC Name Restrictions
When naming your Nevada LLC, you cannot imply that it is a corporation or any other kind of business besides an LLC. This means that you cannot use the following designators anywhere in your Nevada LLC name:
- Non-Profit Corporation
- Professional Association or Professional Corporation
- P.A. or P.C.
In addition to this, your Nevada LLC cannot contain some words, phrases, abbreviations that are restricted or prohibited by state law. All the words and phrases have been shared in the next section.
Nevada LLC Restricted Words
When naming a company in Nevada, you need to know that there are some words and phrases that are restricted and cannot be used. The rule is governed by the Secretary of State under Title 7 of the Nevada Revised Statutes. In fact, it is important to get approval from the respective agencies before you go ahead and submit your Nevada LLC name documents to the Secretary of State for filing if there is any specific word that is under the restricted list.
And if you decide to move ahead and submit the documents for creating your company without getting the approval on the ane, it would be rejected. This would lead you to the starting point where you will need to begin the process of starting your company from the beginning.
To help you avoid such a hassle, here is a list of restricted words that you cannot use for your company name as per different government agencies in the state and the Secretary of State:
1. Financial Institutions
The Nevada Division of Financial Institutions supervises the control over almost all the financial service businesses that are running in Nevada. So, if you want to use a word related to the financial institutions, you will have to get it approved from the Commissioner of Financial Institutions at 702-486-4120. According to the 78.045 & NRS Chapter 659, you cannot use the following words in your Nevada LLC name:
- Credit Union (NRS 678.880)
- Trust (NRS 669.095)
- Collection Agency (NRS 676)
- Debt Collection (NRS 676)
- Credit Union (NRS 678.880)
- Savings & Loan
2. Division of Mortgage Lending
The Division of Mortgage Lending is in charge of the mortgage lending industry. So, there are some words under the NRS 78.045 & NRS Chapter 645B & NRS Chapter 645E that cannot be used in your Nevada LLC name unless it has been approved by the Commissioner of Mortgage Lending at 775-684-7060 or mld.nv.gov. The restricted words under this include:
- Mortgage Banking (Both Financial & Mortgage Lending Approval)
3. Insurance Division
The Nevada Division of Insurance is responsible for handling and supervising the insurance industry in Nevada. And without their approval (which can be done at 775-687-0700), you cannot use the following words in your Nevada LLC name as per the NRS 78.045 & NRS Chapter 679:
- Life & Accident
- Fugitive Recovery
- Bounty Hunter
- Bail Bonds
- Risk Retention Group
- Bail Bondsman/men
4. State Board of Professional Engineers & Land Surveyors
The State Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors is responsible for handling all the land surveying related tasks, licenses, and training. And as per the NRS 78.045 & NRS Chapter 625, you cannot use any of the following words without their approval (which can be got by calling them at 775-688-1231):
- Professional Engineer
- Licensed Engineer
5. Real Estate Division
The Nevada Real Estate Division (NRED) is responsible for all the real estate related issues in Nevada. So, you cannot use any of the following words as per the NRS 78.045 & NRS Chapter 645 unless and until it has been approved by the NRED at 775-687-4280:
6. Homeowners Associations – Ombudsman
The Office of the Ombudsman is responsible for handling the Homeowner’s affairs under the rule of NRS 78.045 & NRS 116.31158. And the following words cannot be used in your Nevada LLC name without their approval at 702-486-4480:
- Master Association
- Property Owners
- Community Association
- Unit-Owners Association
- Home Owners Association
7. State Board of Accountancy
The Nevada State Board of Accountancy takes care of all the government-related tasks. And you cannot use the following words for your Nevada LLC name as per the NRS 78.045 & NRS Chapter 628 without the permission of the Nevada State Board of Accountancy (You can call them at 775-786-0231):
- Certified Public Accountant
8. State Board of Education
The Nevada SBE has the responsibility of handling all the education systems and tasks in Nevada. So, you cannot use the following words for your Nevada LLC name without their approval at 702-486-7330 as per the rule of NRS 78.045 & NRS Chapter 394:
- Higher Education
9. State Board of Architecture
The Nevada State Board of Architecture, Interior Design and Residential Design (NSBAIDRD) is responsible for the architecture industry in the state. And without their approval at 775-688-2544 or 702-486-7300, you cannot use any of the following words in your Nevada LLC company as per the NRS 78.045 & NRS Chapter 623:
- Licensed Residential Designer
- Registered Residential Designer
- Registered Interior Design
- Licensed Architect
- Registered Architect
- Registered Interior Designer
- Residential Design
- Residential Designer
- Exception – Landscape Architecture or Landscape Architect
In short, you will need to ensure that your Nevada LLC name does not have any of the restricted words in them. And it should follow the simple regulations as well. If you do not follow this, your company registration would be rejected and you will have to go through the process all over again.
How can IncParadise help you?
If you are planning to start an LLC in Nevada and you have decided on your Nevada LLC name as well as checked its availability, IncParadise can help you in registering your company in Nevada. Contact us today to have it done within no time and at a very reasonable rate!
Like what you're reading? Get fresh tips to start & grow your company.